Tuesday, January 4, 2011

two day break? o-kay!

So I had two days off this week. It's really a rare occurrence - some strange luck that another manager had to take my half day, two weeks in a row, leading up to it.

Let me tell you, it was nice.

I started it off with a trip to nearby Webster - it's the closest place with decent bookstores and craft stores (Barnes and Noble, Joann's, and Fry's all within a mile of one another). I didn't get much - a book of recorded ghost sightings, the animated version of Lord of the Rings (I was really hoping for "The Hobbit", but they didn't have it), and some 100% cotton quilt batting. This last thing I was REALLY excited about - because it was all I needed to start my quilt-as-you-go log cabin blocks!

Initially, I wanted to do the quilt from the Q-A-Y-G along - with blocks alternating white and color throughout - but I decided to go with monochromatic blocks instead. At the center of each block is a scrap of some of my most treasured fabrics, my Heather Ross! I finally cut into both lines of Far Far Away, and picked a little of each from all of the scraps I had gathered (Lightning Bugs, Munki Munki, Mendocino).

So while watching countless movies (an eclectic mashup of all the Resident Evil films and Jane Austen films), I managed to arrange several blocks and quilt four. I was working on one last night when I ran out of thread on my bobbin, and since I HATE threading the bobbin, I decided it was time to give it a rest.

But I'm rather pleased with my progress! I knew this would be fun, but I didn't know how much - I really love this method!! Fun, easy, and quick. I'm certain that I have more blocks than the original quilt along (56), I minimized the size to 12" per block to account for it.

I kind of can't wait to get home to finish the blue one I was working on ... and rent a few good movies to watch at the same time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment