Tuesday, May 3, 2011

excitement

I've been really busy lately! Lots and lots of sewing.


- Finished Emma's baby quilt! It's so much cuter than I thought it would be. It has really made me love Erin McMorris' "Weekends" line. When I initially saw the colors, I thought they were pretty but I was wary of how to put them together. After changing the pattern, I really think the string quilt was the pattern to use - it looks so lovely and bright, and the recipient's mother loved it :)


- Got started on my quilt for the silent auction! Two days after I started, the top is finished and I've already begun quilting it! It's a string quilt based on Elizabeth Hartman's "Valentine" pattern from her new book. I haven't been into grouping colors lately, but for this quilt, it really works! (And I managed to clear out a few fabrics I KNOW I only bought for a "rainbow" quilt and wouldn't use otherwise). The quilting is done by hand in green, blue, yellow, and orange (the colors of the quilt). I'm binding it black! I really love the look of pictures with black borders - all of my frames in my house are black.



- Getting excited about a few new fabric lines coming out! May is definitely my month for fabric buying :) I'm particularly excited about the following lines:




a.) Loulouthi. I love that she named them after her daughters and the graphics are to die for. Anna Maria Horner is quickly becoming one of my favorite designers. I don't have anything in mind for this one, but I'm thinking that I'll do something with larger pieces so you can really see all the lovely fabric :)

b.) Far Far Away III. I've been waiting for this one for-e-ever! I have to say that I'm not a fan of the horsey girl prints in this particular line - I'm a sucker for princesses, sue me already - but I think they'll be cute to add to my stash for future baby girl quilts. All of the fairy tale prints are destined for my ultimate "Far Far Away" quilt, which I've been patiently hoarding for :)

c.) 1001 Peeps. I loved Castle Peeps and I'm definitely loving 1001 peeps. Can. not. wait! I've even got plans to order extra of the peeps print so that I can use them for my hexagon quilt! :)
Other than that, I've got a quilt slated for these - using the same pattern as my Castle Peeps quilt, so they match. I'm weird that way.

d.) Prince Charming! Can you tell that I adore fairytales? I've got wonky stars in mind for this one - I love, love love that frog print! :)




- Bought a whole set of Rit Dye. I plan on using it for my vintage sheet/Alice in Wonderland quilt - I'm going to be dying fabrics (linen bits, tea towels, white fabrics) and some extra accents (lace, trimmings). My goal is to use a mod mosaic pattern and add in some little accents, and quilt it like a crazy quilt with quilting thread and embroidery. I even plan on embroidering the characters! It's going to be a lot of work, but I'm always up for a challenge!




- Got some Denyse Schmidt Quilts. Well, only one print, actually - the only one I really, truly cared for was the one with the little red flowers on dark blue. I admire that she recreated some prints from previous lines, but it's not suiting my palette right now. Love those dark blue flowers, though!



- Managed to find the vintage sheet section at my local GoodWill! Not that it's large or anything, I just figured we didn't have one because Galveston is usually bereft of cool, crafty things. But it has one! I managed to snag four pillowcases and one vintage sheet (and a copy of Dorian Gray). All for $7.51! I was pretty darn proud of myself. I'm totally going to check the Goodwills on the Gulf Freeway next, they might have something cool, too!


That's all for now. I'm hoping to finish a lot more - be back soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment