Sunday, April 17, 2011

Knocking the list out!

It's a beautiful Thursday here in sunny Galveston! It's been a really busy week here, but I've definitely gotten a lot done!

- My car broke down on Monday! The battery died. After an hour and a half of waiting and getting it towed to a body shop, I could go back to work - and luckily for me, I got the car back the next day! I'm happy I was in a parking lot and not on the freeway, but I'm still going to grumble about the combined cost of new tires (465) and a new battery (145). And all of that right AFTER I paid off the car!

- I finished Emma's quilt! Well, the parts I was going to complete, anyway. The top is finished, the quilting done - I originally tried to complete it by machine, but hated the thread I chose (a light plum/pink shade) because it was too dark. And the quilting I did - diagonally, across the quilt - wasn't complimenting at all to the design. So I carefully ripped out those stitches, chose a lighter, more complimentary rose pink, and got started quilting by hand. I started that Thursday, and yesterday I was finished! :)

Now I'm just waiting on my talented mother to bind it for me and I can give it to its recipient (but not after taking a few pictures to show here!)

- I got in some fabric love. Mind you, this fabric love was bought BEFORE my car broke down or the tires were needed. It's essentially my last purchase until three lines I want to purchase come out - Far Far Away 3, 1001 Peeps, and Loulouthi. Those are then my last purchases while I work on some other quilts!

But this week, I received some vintage sheet goodies - about seven or eight more fat quarters, which were added to my quickly-growing stash. I'm definitely in love! Already planning a quilt with these, although it'll be awhile before I get to it! I also bought some solids - two yards of plain white cotton for a quilt I'm starting today, and some Kona Snow for my best friend's wedding quilt.

- Started on a new quilt last night. This one is for a silent auction for breast cancer; the only stipulation on color was that it be BRIGHT. Somehow I don't think that's a problem! I cut out all the strips last night - yes, another string quilt, but it's the quickest block for me - and I'm looking to make at least four blocks tonight (hopefully). My goal is to get it finished in the next week and then start on the quilting, also by hand (with variated colors). Then to bind it in black and hand it off!

- Finally bought a copy of 101 Patchwork Projects. I rarely buy quilting magazines - the patterns are usually too fussy and conservative for me. But this one had one project in particular I really want to try - filminthefridge's Rubik's Crush pattern! So glad I found a copy, too, I've been looking since the beginning of April :)

All in all, it's been a good week! If I can get this second quilt finished in the next week or so (which is definitely doable, even if it means less sleep and more quilting), then I can finally begin on my best friend's wedding gift, and then I can finish the boyfriend's quilt. So much work, so little time! I'm off to it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment