Monday, February 28, 2011

keeping it real

The reason I started this blog was due to my need to express my creativity and my recent foray back into quilting. Where I live, there aren't a lot of "modern" quilters and I am, unfortunately, one of the only "crafty" people I know! I'm also an immense fan of many internet blogs and read them every morning!



That being said, I don't think I've ever made an "about me" post, so here's a bunch of random facts:



1. I live in sunny, humid Galveston, Texas, and I am definitely a proud BOI (born on island) and Texan! (Although I lack the accent, because no one in Galveston really has one).



2. I'm the fourth of six children, and the only girl. My youngest brother and I are very close and when we go out, everyone seems to think he's my son! (We're only six years apart, so that's some major BUNK...)



3. I watched my mom sew things, as well as my grandmother, and my childhood was full of colorful, well-loved quilts that I cherish to this day. I got into quilting in high school, kind of let it go, and then got into it again. I'm officially hooked now.



4. I love to read advice columns like Dear Prudence and Miss Manners.



5. I have three dogs: a Pit mix named Little Man, a terrier mix named Manny, and a little furball named Mage. (None of the "M" names were intentional. Even though my last name starts with an "M", I really don't names that start with it all that much! Two of three of the dogs were named by someone else; we adopted them).



6. My favorite genre in books, in movies, in television, in etc is HORROR. I seriously love it! I don't know why, considering that I am, at times, the most paranoid person around. Japanese Horror is kind of my favorite, but I love zombie and ghost movies, too. It should be, because "The Thing" is seriously my favorite movie of all time EVER, and the short story it's based on, "Who Goes There?" is my favorite novella. :)

7. My favorite fabric designers are Heather Ross, Anna Maria Horner, and Joel Dewberry. I tend toward modern, simple designs now, where when I started quilting I just grabbed anything. You can definitely tell when it comes to the things that I destashed!

8. I am a COOKIE MONSTER. All your sweets are belong to me.

9. I have never made a bag, or a dress, but I definitely intend to learn!

10. I'm fluent in Spanish, the result of many years of working in restaurants and living in Southeat Texas, where I feel it's a necessity to know the language. I feel like being bilingual is an extremely important asset, and Spanish is such a prolific language in this country I feel that it does nothing but good for anyone to learn it, and they should. It doesn't hurt that it's an incredibly beautiful language, either :)

No comments:

Post a Comment