Friday, February 11, 2011

the best laid plans

So I had this great, grand plan for my new bed quilt. I was going to use Modern Meadow by Joel Dewberry (which is one of my favorite lines) and I was going to do a pattern similar to Ashley's Rubik's Crush quilt. Because there was no pattern, I decided to embark on a pattern on my own; I'm not the best at math, so I was in the process of testing it out. I got the last print I needed in Monday (Napsack in Berry), and I was ready to go.

Until I saw that she'd made a pattern for it, and it's coming out in 101 Patchwork Projects in April.

So, being the lazybones (and perfectionist, what an odd combo), I decided it would be a much better idea to see how an experienced quilter would do those blocks. And while I wait...I would dig into my "Innocent Crush" stash.

Which has got the be my best idea ever. Every time I look at these prints, I fall in love! I even went so far as to order the voile (which is gorgeous), because my favorite print is "Maybe", and I decided that I needed it in every color. I'm not going to order the velveteen - partly because I feel like I already have enough for this quilt, and partly because I feel that it would be difficult for me to piece and quilt with. Not impossible, mind you, but difficult, and I'm all about ease and fun.

Having recently bought Elizabeth Hartman's new book, I decided to try out the "Valentine" pattern. I don't intend to have my separated by color - I do that enough, and I'm kind of tired of rainbows. So it'll be a mishmash of every print and so far I love it. It's my first string quilt - but I'm really, really excited! Strips of fabric? Check! Paper piercing? Check! I'm in.

So I ironed all my fat quarters (voile excepted) and have since been cutting. I cut my hand right off with the rotary cutter - paying too much attention to Glee, most likely, which I watched all day Wednesday - and had to resort to scissors. But I'll tell you - even though I like the rotary cutter, scissors will always be my choice method of destruction. I'm still getting the hang of rotary cutters, but me and scissors are like THIS, son!

So I'm off to finish cutting. And probably work some. And then I'm going to watch a movie and cut some more and hopefully begin piecing these soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment