Thursday, November 11, 2010

FINALLY!!

I did it. I went crazy. I spent way too much.

But I finally got my greedy, grubby hands on some fabric love I've been wanting for a while: Heather Ross' FAR FAR AWAY.

So far, I've bought at least a fat quarter of every piece of her current line, FFA2, and at least a far quarter of all of the unicorns, the princesses, and the frogs from her last line. I even managed to snag a piece of the orange wildflowers (and intend to capture the purple and mint). I'm debating on buying the snails still - I don't think I need them, although they are cute. If I did buy them, I think it would be only to satisfy my need to collect every piece of the line, when I think I only really -want- the more dynamic pieces included in my quilt.

I love the linen fabrics - they're going to be fun to sew with, as they're my first "linen/cotton blend" fabrics I've purchased. And the double gauze - I had never imagined it would be so soft! I'm reading up on how to properly quilt them, and I think I may save the sewing of this stash for a day when I have a better machine.

My plan for these babies? I'm going to make a huge, queen size quilt for my bed! I know what you're thinking: "Katie, you're 23. You are a big kid. You do not need to make yourself a fairy tale quilt." Oh, but I do. It's not just for me! It's for prosperity; I've never made a quilt I didn't intend to one day pass on. I've made baby quilts for others, for a specific child, but nothing made for my home is meant for just one person. I still have quilts my grandmothers made for us, some never finished, but treasured all the same. If I ever have a daughter, she would hopefully inherit my love for all things fantastic.

The plan is to attach each piece of the main print (I'm still debating what size to cut them) to some Kona solids that match the main color of it (i.e. plum, aqua, etc) and turn those babies into 8 point stars. It'll be a hell of a lot of piecing, but I think it'll make for one fantastic quilt. The only things that I didn't take into major consideration are the moons from the pussycat and owl prints - they're going to make those prints too big, so I think they're going to be pieced where the sashing (white) will be meeting between four blocks, as a stopper. I can't see not using them; they're way too cute for that!

I can't wait to get started on this project!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment