Thursday, July 28, 2011

Progress!

This has been a very good week for finishing things up and sewing! I think taking my little brother to his internship in the morning is probably the best thing that could have happened this summer ... all that extra time to sew is doing me a world of good!



First thing is that I FINISHED my Innocent Crush String Quilt Top! I haven't taken a picture yet ... I finished it at two in the morning on Monday (after two days of working on it nonstop), and haven't had a good time to take a look at it since. I'll upload a picture later. But it's done! Success!


I started on a quilt for my niece, a simple QAYG with fairy tales. But the fairy tales looked all mismatched and not right when mixed, so I switched those out with vintage sheets; I'm still not in love. So those blocks I did start are sitting in a closet, and I'm back to the drawing board on that one.


I've also started on my Nuno's Poseidon quilt, and I'm about three blocks in. It hasn't been getting much attention this weekend, but I'm hoping to get on a better pattern soon.


The reason it hasn't been getting nearly any attention? Because a certain stack of voiles ... those lovely Little Folks voiles have been calling to me! I admit that I cut into them. And that I've been sewing them into strips and working them into little patchwork squares ever since. And I plan on doing it later, too. How could I not? Seeing all of the quilts that have been made with it (and hearing the testimonies of how much those quilts were loved afterward), I knew I had to try my hand at it at last!

The voiles sew like butter. I've shortened my stitch length, changed my needle to a smaller size, and I'm using a 3/8" seam allowance instead of a 1/4" seam (to assuage my fears of fraying later). I also cut my strips at an odd size, 4 1/4", so that they'll finish around 3.5" when all is said and done. The voiles press wonderfully, too, which has left me wondering exactly how I'll go back to quilting with regular quilting cottons. (Although somehow I think I'll manage).

Movies I've Watched Lately:

-Candyman (good and creepy)
-Eskalofrio (excellent)
-Season of the Witch (great plot, but can we not mix a medieval setting with American accents?),
-Blood Night (not so great but at least there was a Greek guy going "ghamoto!" at one point),
-Deadtime Stories (kind of dorky, but I'll never look at mermaids the same again)

Other Non-Quilty Stuff:


- Got Netflix (obviously) and I plan on using it ALL THE TIME.
- After two years of living in my apartment building, I finally went to the pool.
It. Was. GLORIOUS.
- Last Week of taking my brother to his internship. Which means that it's the last week of me getting up at 7:00. I am okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment